Check your knowledge of multiple-use medications:
1. Blood pressure medication Prazosin is also used to treat:
A. Blood clots
B. Restless leg syndrome
D. Too slow heart rate
2. Zyban used for smoking cessation is the same drug as:
B and D. Zyban is the same drug as Bupropion (generic) and Wellbutrin (trade name). Zyban is marketed for smoking cessation. Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant also used for seasonal affective disorder.
3. Neurontin is used for which of the following conditions:
A. Nerve pain
C. Migraine prevention
D. Bipolar disorder
E. Shingles pain
F. Restless leg syndrome
All of the above!
4. One would most likely see Carbidopa/ Levodopa prescribed for:
A. Alzheimer’s disease
B. Traumatic brain injury
C. Parkinson’s disease
D. Side effects of anti-psychotic medication
C and D: Parkinson’s disease and side effects of anti-psychotic medications.
5. Pregabalin on a routine medication list could suggest which of the following conditions:
A. Diabetic neuropathy
C. Heart murmur
D. Atrial fibrillation
A, B, and E. Pregabalin (Lyrica) is an anti-convulsant prescribed for diabetic neuropathy and fibromyalgia.